Chana Masala is a tomato-y, chickpea-y soupy dish that goes well with rice, naan or roasted chicken.
- Pre-chop all the veggies
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot add 2 Tbsp Canola oil.
- Add onions, let brown for 5 min. Then add garlic and ginger. Continue to brown for 5 more minutes. Mixture should be golden brown.
- Add all spices (except Garam Masala). Let cook for 1 minute.
- Halved cinnamon stick (one half of this seemed sufficient)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Add tomatoes and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and scrap the bottom of the pan to ensure all the browning bits are no longer stuck. Add chick peas and stir the mixture. Let simmer for 15 minutes partially covered.
- Add Garam Masala and 1 Tbsp lime juice. Let simmer for 15 more minutes. You can break up some of the chickpeas to add thickness to the broth.
- Season with salt to tast. Remove cinnamon stick and serve. Garnish with Cilantro.
Other versions to investigate